Saturday, March 19, 2011

Patience is a Virtue

Well, on Thursday, March 10 I booked it for Boise where my adventure to Washington to see friends and family before leaving for Japan began. As Mom and I chatted away somewhere in Oregon, my Aunt Linda calls to tell us about the 9.0 earthquake that hit Sendai, Japan and the devastating results. We listened on the radio but all the local news had to say was regarding the 3 and 4 foot tsunami waves hitting Oregon and California.

When I arrived at my aunt and uncle's home in Kalama, WA, I emailed my employer to see if she and others on their island were alright. She emailed back promptly that there was no destruction to her part of Japan and that she would let me know when she received my working visa and express it to me. I was surprised but relieved.

Within 24 hours the news was focused on the nuclear reactors. A Fukushima reactor was approaching partial meltdown. All the safety measures put in place already had failed and they were starting to pump sea water into the core to cool down the rods. Radiation was released at one reactor in Fukushima Daiichi and the Japanese government set an evacuation area of 12 miles. Iodine tablets were distributed to those in the immediate area. Within another day or so the government had expanded the safety area. The U.S. Department of State cautioned all U.S. citizens to avoid travel to Japan until at least April 1st. And a few days later advised all Americans in Japan to stay at least 50 miles away from Fukushima Daiichi as an extra safety precaution.

The likelihood that I am going to Japan still is unknown but I have high hopes still and know things will turn out the way they should.

Besides that note, my visit with family and friends in Washington was great!! I was able to visit with Aunt Linda, Uncle Brian, and Grandma Allison for about 4 days after which I traveled north to Port Orchard to stay with my sister, Lara, and her daughter, Daran, for a couple days. On Thursday,  I traveled further to Sequim, WA, the town where I grew up. Holy tourist town! It was so small 20 years ago and now it's crazy!! After an hour or so there, I continued to Port Angeles where I met up with my childhood best friend, Traci (Wasankari) Dunn, whom I have not seen in 12 years. It was such a great visit. There wasn't a dull moment and we chatted for 6 hours. She has 3 beautiful girls and a really great guy taking care of them. What a great blessing it was to reminisce about old times, catch up on what each others family's were doing, and what we want for our future families. Friday, Mom and I started our drive home to Idaho. I am currently staying at my sister, Lorinda's, home in Boise before I head back to Rexburg on Monday. The trip has been wonderful...but I am ready for Japan whenever it comes! I pray every night that the reactors will be controlled and no more radiation will but released, for everyone's sake.
Me and Mom

Me and Uncle Brian

Mom, Aunt Linda, and Me

Me and Grandma Allison

House on Priest Rd

My childhood best friend, Traci & her 3 kids: Michaela, Haley, and Chloe. Me

Lu and Me

Me and Mom

Me and Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment