Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Goodbye Japan, Hello Dallas!

Wow! It's seriously been 8 months since my last post?! That is seriously crazy! I did warn y'all that I was terrible at keeping up with things like this, however. So, I guess to bring you up to speed:


At the beginning of September my boss was caught trying to get one of my coworkers a working visa while still on a tourist visa (illegal since my coworker was working on a tourist visa). She exited to South Korea to the embassy after her tourist visa had expired and was "voluntarily exported" along with her willing husband. They are still waiting to enter the country again. There was an investigation and two other couples along with their children were involuntarily exported. We brought in a little temporary help but not enough to keep things going smoothly. Many classes were cancelled and the full time staff was worked overtime to make things work. The franchise owners were rightfully angry that my boss broke her end of the contract and 4 of the 5 franchises broke off. My boss was optimistic and opened 3 new schools under her own name to compensate with a much smaller student body. Most of the students from the franchises stayed with the franchises. Good for them. My boss had many legal issues involving immigration and tax fraud over the past 30 years.


On a brighter note--I made many wonderful friends and learned so much about myself. I have a renewed desire to cut out unnecessary things from my life and simplify to find greater happiness and openness to the promptings of the Still Small Voice (the Holy Ghost). I had the wonderful opportunity to introduce the Gospel of Jesus Christ to many non-Christians who were seeking greater happiness and purpose in life. I feel that my efforts in bringing others to Christ have been more effective in Japan than during my full-time mission for the Church. Much of that was probably due to the fact that I didn't know how to be "natural" as a missionary but since my mission I've learned how to apply bringing others to Christ to my everyday life. I wrote my testimony and a personal message in Books of Mormon and gave them to 9 of my new Japanese friends. In addition, I gave one to my gaijin (American) roommate whom I love and appreciate dearly. Four of those nine friends attended church with me at least once and two of them (a mother and daughter) want to be involved regularly. I am so grateful for this experience. I love them all so much and want them to have the happiness the gospel has brought me.


On March 18, 2012, I returned home to America. I stayed with my sister, Lorinda, and her husband for a week in Boise then returned home to Rexburg. I have been here since then-planning my move to Dallas, Texas where I will be attending the University of Texas at Dallas and a community college to complete math and teacher education courses to be a high school mathematics teacher. I am excited to experience a new environment and meet new people. I am even more excited to finally have a career in something I feel will meaningfully contribute to society and youth. I hope to teach math, psychology, and Spanish within the next 5 years. Time is flying--I still need to find a place to live in Dallas and a job...but my experience with being still and following the very gentle promptings of the Spirit will help me. I have never felt so ready for life and making decisions. I have never had such confidence in myself and the Lord. I'm ready for my next adventure.


P.S. In September I hiked Mt. Fujisan. In October I went white water rafting and canyoning. Also in October I started the P90X Extreme Workout Program. I have since lost about 25 lbs of lipids and gained about 8 lbs of muscle. I feel great!

No comments:

Post a Comment